Connect with us


Police arrest Massachusetts man for second time this year concerning materials that could make bomb



Photo courtesy of Barnstable Police

A Massachusetts man has been arrested for the second time this year after allegedly possessing materials that can make a bomb.

According to Eastham Police, on Saturday, at approximately 12:50 p.m., Officer Gregory Plante located an individual on foot in the Town Center Plaza Parking Lot, known to him as Dorian Firth.

Officer Plante was in possession of a trespass notice that needed to be served to Firth, barring him from a nearby property in Eastham. Officer Plante exited his cruiser and initiated a conversation with Firth. Firth instantly became uncooperative, agitated, and aggressive towards Officer Plante, according to police. Firth refused to produce identification or give his name so that Officer Plante could confirm his identity. Officer Plante radioed for backup to respond to his location. Officer Plante continued the conversation attempting to deescalate the situation and backpedaled away from Firth, attempting to avoid a physical confrontation. During this conversation, Firth became assaultive and struck Officer Plante in the face, producing minor injuries. A physical altercation ensued and Officer Plante, with the assistance of a nearby Good Samaritan, and Sergeant Mark Haley who arrived on scene as backup, was able to place Firth under arrest for the assault on Officer Plante.

Firth was sprayed with pepper spray during the altercation. The Wellfleet and Orleans Police Departments also responded as backup. Firth was then transported to the Eastham Police Facility for booking.

During the booking process, Firth’s possessions, including a backpack, were searched for inventory and safety purposes. Located inside the backpack was a quantity of a powdery substance, wires, and other items consistent with the construction of explosive devices. The backpack and its contents were immediately removed from the building and both the Eastham Fire Department and Massachusetts State Police Bomb Squad were notified. The Eastham Fire Department assisted with securing the area around the backpack while the MA State Police Bomb Squad responded. Once on scene, the MA State Police Bomb Squad confirmed that the items located were consistent with the manufacturing of explosive devices and that the items needed to be control detonated to make them safe.

The items were transported by the MA State Police Bomb Squad to the Eastham Department of Public Works facility where they could be control detonated in a safe, sand pit area. The Eastham Police and Fire Departments assisted with securing the area to ensure safety for the public. The Eastham Fire Department then stood by with an engine, and the Orleans Fire Department with an ambulance, for safety precautions. At approximately 5:45 p.m., the items were control detonated without incident.

Firth remains in custody at the Eastham Police Facility. His bail was set at $2000. He will be arraigned at the Orleans District Court House on Monday morning on charges stemming from the assault on Officer Plante, as well as additional charges regarding the possession of the explosive device.

The investigation is ongoing and additional charges may be filed.

Firth was also charged with one count of felony possession of incendiary materials and one count of felony possession of an incendiary device by Barnstable Police in April.

Officer Plante suffered minor injuries and remained on his shift.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Copyright © 2017 Fall River Reporter

Translate »