A Massachusetts Police Department is issuing a warning to parents and teens.
On Saturday, Grafton Police Department dispatch received a call from a resident on Buttercup Lane regarding a found package with suspicious items in the woods near the caller’s home. Officer Ropiak responded and spoke with the caller who indicated that several teenagers were seen running from the wooded area in the rear of the condo unit. The caller also observed a plastic bag protruding from a pile of rocks where the youths had been seen. The bag contained 7 packages of what appeared to be commercially wrapped candy identified as “Gummi Sharks.” The caller had retrieved the bag and turned it over to Officer Ropiak.
On closer inspection, Officer Ropiak noted that the candy was actually medicated gummy candy, edibles infused with 500mg THC, the active ingredient in cannabis. The caller did not recognize the juveniles and did not know if they resided in the neighborhood. The investigation is continuing to determine the identity of the teenagers and if or how they came into possession of the THC edibles.
The Grafton Police Department is warning parents and guardians about the dangers of ingesting THC edibles by teenagers.
“It’s not only unlawful for anyone under 21 to possess marijuana/cannabis and products infused with THC, it is also dangerous because these items are packaged similar to commercially available candy, parents and guardians need to closely examine suspected THC edibles.”
GPD stated that according to the US Drug Enforcement Administration, edibles take longer to digest and produce a high. Therefore, youth may consume more to feel the effects faster, leading to an increase in dangerous results. Taken in large doses, the intoxicating effects of cannabis may include diminished concentration and impaired memory. Acute cannabis toxicity can result in severe anxiety, panic attacks, nausea, respiratory insufficiency, delirium, psychosis, paranoia and hallucinations.