According to the National Weather Service, a long duration coastal storm will bring wind, rain, and coastal flooding Wednesday through Friday. Hazardous conditions for mariners are expected with high seas and possible storm-force winds.
– Gusts as high as 40-60 mph possible, especially on Cape Cod and the Islands.
– Strongest winds Thursday into Friday morning
– Potential for scattered power outages
– Totals of 2-4 inches expected in RI and eastern MA, especially on Cape Cod and the Islands where locally higher totals are possible.
– Potential for urban and poor drainage flooding.
– Lower totals are expected farther north and west.
* Coastal Flooding:
– Although astronomical tides are low, persistent and strong NE winds may produce a storm surge of 2 ft over several high tide cycles Thursday and Friday, resulting in minor to moderate coastal flooding along the eastern MA coast.
– Seas of 20-30 ft offshore should produce significant beach erosion.
– Prolonged period of NE Gale force (35-40 kt) winds Wednesday into Saturday, with possible storm-force winds to 50 kt Thursday into Friday.
– Seas 5 to 8 ft in bays and sounds, but 20-30 ft offshore. Seas subside Sat.
– Dangerous conditions for mariners.