The Fall River Fire Department battled a 2 alarm fire in frigid temperatures Friday night.
A call came in shortly after 6:30 p.m. for heavy fire showing at the 4th floor and roof of The Mount Apartments at 1017 Middle Street. According to Fall River District Fire Chief Michael Clark, flames could be seen shooting out of two windows on the Middle Street side of the complex. Hand lines were made inside the building as the crew knocked down the fire in approximately 45 minutes through the inside.
Clark stated that a tenant, who was smoking on a bed, dropped a cigarette which ignited the fire. The woman tried to put it out with a pan of water, but as the fire increased, she left the apartment.
There was heavy damage to the attic and two apartments along with a hallway. Damage was estimated at approximately $150,000.
According to Clark, 3 cats passed away in the fire. No injures to tenants or firefighters were reported.
Water used to fight the fire began to freeze which led to sanders being called to the scene.
Warming buses arrived for residents of the complex due to the cold temperatures.
The American Red Cross responded to the former Bishop Gerard High School to aid displaced residents of the building.