Several students reportedly ingest an e-cigarette in Westport.
According to Detective Sergeant Christopher Dunn, today members of the Westport Police and Fire Departments were called to the Westport High School regarding an intoxicated student. Westport High School staff relayed that the student was displaying signs of being under the influence and showing extremely erratic behavior.
While being evaluated by medical personnel the student continued to display erratic and violent behavior to the extent he had to be restrained for his safety and the safety of first responders.
An investigation by High School Administration and School Resource Officer Kyle Fernandes revealed several students had ingested an e-cigarette pen which contained a mixture of THC and nicotine. As a result of this investigation another student was transported to the hospital. All other students suspected to be involved with the ingestion of the e-cigarette were evaluated by the school nurse and Westport Fire Department Paramedics.
E-cigarettes can contain harmful and potentially harmful ingredients, including:
ultrafine particles that can be inhaled deep into the lungs
flavorants such as diacetyl, a chemical linked to serious lung disease
volatile organic compounds
heavy metals, such as nickel, tin, and lead
According to Dunn, members of the Westport High School staff and administration should be credited with their quick response in making sure all students remained safe and received the proper medical treatment.