‘Tis the season to be jolly and not be the victim of porch pirates.
Supply chain issues have people shopping for that special gift earlier than ever, and porch pirates have an eye out for your home deliveries. If left unprotected, your packages may become the target of thieves. Here are some easy steps that you can take to be sure your gifts go to the right people.
• Have packages delivered to your work, or to the home of a relative or friend that you know will be home.
• Have your package held at the local post office for pickup.
• Take advantage of “ship to store” options that many stores offer. Amazon offers a “locker” feature that allows a package to be picked up from a secure location.
• Request a signature confirmation upon delivery.
• Ask carriers to place packages in an area out of plain view.
• Install a video doorbell or use motion activated lights. Keep your home well lit.
• Make it look like you are home.
Johnston Police Chief Joseph Razza states that they will be out their patrolling, especially in residential districts, and will be utilizing marked and unmarked police vehicles.
“We’re looking at adding to our naughty list, so be a good neighbor and report all suspicious activity.”