Connect with us


Police looking for suspect in stabbing death of 40-year-old Otis Diggs



Otis Diggs

Police are currently investigating the murder of a local man.

According to Police Chief Matthew Benson, on Saturday, just before 3:00 p.m., the Cumberland Police Department responded to a residence on Front Street for the report of a stabbing victim. Upon arrival, responding units located and attempted to render aid to a 40-year-old male victim, later positively identified as Otis Diggs. Diggs was transported to Rhode Island Hospital by Cumberland Emergency Medical Services and was later pronounced dead.

No further details were released by police other than that the victim was stabbed during an altercation at a residence on Front Street.

At this time, no arrests have been made in connection with this homicide. Witnesses are still being interviewed in response to the investigation and authorities do not believe this to be a random act. No one else was physically harmed during the incident.

Chief Benson issued the following statement:

“This is another example of senseless violence, which has unfortunately become all too common in our society. An incident where a family ends the day losing a loved one like this is both tragic and unnecessary. On behalf of the men and women of the Cumberland Police Department, I offer our condolences to the family, friends, and loved ones of Mr. Diggs. We will remain steadfast in our efforts and bring those responsible to justice. My broader hope is that people out there hear of this story, and the countless others like it, and look to approach conflict in a more responsible manner where families don’t continue to have to bury loved ones in this manner.”

“I’d like to acknowledge the tremendous work of the first responding Cumberland Police Officers and EMS paramedics who attempted to save the life of Mr. Diggs, and the collective work of Cumberland Police Detectives under the leadership of Captain Peter Sweet for their tireless and continued efforts. I’d also like to acknowledge the assistance of the Rhode Island State Police Forensic Science Unit and the several other local Rhode Island police jurisdiction who provided support and assistance. This is still a very active and open investigation.”

On Sunday, family and friends were still coming to terms with Diggs’ sudden passing. Services have yet to be announced.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Copyright © 2017 Fall River Reporter

Translate »