Connect with us


Norton, Taunton, North Attleboro fire departments extinguish blaze where teen was seriously burned



NORTON – Chief Shawn Simmons reports that the Norton Fire Department extinguished a fire during which a man suffered serious burns to his leg.

At about 9 a.m. on Sunday, Feb. 27, the Norton Fire Department responded to a single-family home at 71 North Washington St.

Upon arrival, firefighters observed heavy smoke on all floors. After entering, firefighters located the source of the fire in the basement, where they discovered a 19-year-old male who had suffered a serious leg burn. First responders removed the resident from the home and provided initial treatment.

Norton firefighters, supported by crews from the Taunton Fire Department and North Attleboro Fire Department, extinguished the fire in about 10 minutes.

The injured resident was transported by the North Attleboro Fire Department EMS to Good Samaritan Hospital in Brockton for further medical care.

The Norton Police Department provided logistical support at the scene. The Easton Fire Department and Mansfield Fire Department provided station coverage.

Crews cleared the scene at about 11:30 a.m.

The Norton Fire Department investigation into the fire is active and ongoing, with assistance by the Norton Police Department as standard protocol.

The Norton Fire Department wishes to offer the following tips about wood stove safety.

“It only takes a few seconds for a fire to get out of control,” Chief Simmons said. “We ask residents to make sure their wood stoves are in good working order, and that they take great care when using them.”

The Norton Fire Department also asks residents to check that their smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors are operational, as the incidence of indoor fires increases during the winter months.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Copyright © 2017 Fall River Reporter

Translate »