Veterans Memorial Bridge inspection work to cause lane closures for several days
FALL RIVER/SOMERSET – The Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT) has announced that it will be performing a routine inspection of the Veterans Memorial Bridge carrying Route 6 over the Taunton River beginning on Monday, December 2, and continuing through to Friday, December 13.
The work will be taking place daily, Monday through Friday, from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. The inspection work will utilize police details to implement temporary lane and shoulder closures on Route 6, as well as on the Route 79 approach in Fall River, as needed.
Closures and detours for the scheduled work will be as follows:
Shared-Use Path Closure
On Thursday, December 5, and Friday, December 6, the shared-use path on the bridge will be closed from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Overnight Ramp Closure
On Thursday, December 12, and Friday, December 13, the ramp from Route 6 eastbound to Route 79 northbound will be closed overnight, from 9:00 p.m. on Thursday until 5:00 a.m. on Friday. The following detour route will be in place:
· Take Route 6 eastbound exit to Route 79 southbound/Route 138 southbound towards Fall River/Tiverton RI.
· Merge onto Route 6 eastbound.
· Take the first left to make a U-Turn beneath Route 79 to Route 6 westbound/Davol Street.
· Merge onto Route 6 westbound/Davol Street.
· Take the left onto the ramp to Route 79 northbound toward Taunton/Middleborough.
· Merge onto Route 79 northbound.
Drivers traveling through the affected areas should expect delays, reduce speed, and use caution. All scheduled work is weather dependent and/or may be impacted due to an emergency situation.