Connect with us


Massachusetts man who attempted to break through a police lobby with a chainsaw taken into custody after standoff



Photo courtesy of Cohasset Police

A Massachusetts man was taken into custody Sunday evening after an incident that reportedly began with a chain saw earlier in the day.

Just after 3:30 p.m. on Sunday, it was announced that the Cohasset Police had issued a shelter in place for anyone living within a quarter mile of Norfolk Road and Cushing Road in Cohasset.

Just after 6:45 p.m. Cohasset Police Chief William Quigley issued a statement that at about 2:30 p.m. a male known to the department entered the lobby of the police station. He had a gas chainsaw with him. He attempted to cut through a security door in the lobby of the police station. There was a civilian desk attendant on duty at the time. The desk attendant was able to barricade herself and call officers to assist her. The man fled the scene, and he was tracked back to his house where he was barricaded inside the house with two young children in the house under five years of age. The Metropolitan Law Enforcement Council and surrounding jurisdictions responded to the scene to attempt to talk the man out of the house peacefully and deescalate the situation.

Shortly after 9:15 p.m., Chief Quigley announced that the situation on Cushing Road was resolved peacefully, and one adult male suspect was in custody. The shelter-in-place order was then lifted.

35-year-old Brien Buckley was booked on the charges of Assault by means of a dangerous weapon to wit a chainsaw; Damage to property (3-counts); Child endangerment (2-counts); Resisting arrest; Driving to endanger; Unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle; Disorderly conduct; Disturbing the peace; and Wanton destruction of a tree.

Buckley is being held without bail. He will be arraigned in Quincy this morning.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Copyright © 2017 Fall River Reporter

Translate »