Connect with us


Massachusetts lightning strikes set fire to building, knocked down trees onto homes



A Massachusetts Fire Department simultaneously responded to a lightning strike on a shed and a tree that fell onto a home as intense storms passed through the area on Friday afternoon.

According to Chief John P. Benoit at approximately 3:38 p.m., the Stow Fire Department received reports of smoke in the area of Great Road.

Companies searched the area and discovered that a shed at 268 Great Road, approximately 10 feet by 12 feet, had been struck by lightning and was burning.

Two engine companies and a tanker truck battled that fire until 3:52 p.m., when the Stow Fire Department also received reports that a large tree struck a home at 150 Barton Road.

Upon arrival responding companies discovered that a large tree had fallen on a home and knocked over the chimney. One engine company that responded to the lightning strike was diverted to Barton Road to provide support.

The engine company and tanker truck that remained on Great Road extinguished the shed fire. No one was injured.

Companies initially had a report that a person was missing at the Barton Road scene. Concord Assistant Fire Chief Walter Latta, who was off duty and in the area, arrived at the Barton Road home first and located the homeowner unharmed.

Companies called in a building inspector to the Barton Road scene and ensured there were no additional hazards.

While on scene at 150 Barton Road, firefighters were approached by a resident of 156 Barton Road, who reported that a tree fell on their home as well. Firefighters ensured there were no additional hazards at that location either.

There were no reported injuries in either incident on Barton Road.

Meanwhile, companies also responded to several other downed trees and downed power lines in the area of Barton Road. Hudson Light and Power responded to those scenes to make repairs.

“We had a busy half an hour as the storms moved through the area, but I am pleased to report that no one was injured as a result of either incident,” said Chief Benoit. “I’m grateful to our crews who responded quickly and professionally to both incidents.”

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Copyright © 2017 Fall River Reporter

Translate »