The Fall River Police Department is warning residents of a scam involving individuals claiming to be representing a Division of the Fall River Police Department and collecting bail money to clear up warrants.
• This caller will call and claim there is a Federal warrant for your arrest.
• The caller tells you need to pay the fines but they will not accept cash
• The caller gives you the FRPD address of 685 Pleasant Street
• The caller tells you to go to the nearest CVS/Walgreens/Rite Aid and purchase a Money- Pak.
• The caller will demand your cell phone number to issue you an MCO (maintain contact order)
• The caller will require you to contact them from the store on your cell phone because of the MCO
• After purchasing the MoneyPAK the caller will instruct you to transfer the money, obtain a receipt and go directly to the police department.
• At the FRPD you’ll be informed there were never Federal Warrants and no way to reclaim your money.
If you receive phone calls from someone claiming you have a warrant, please take down the information and report the incident to the police. The FRPD advises that you should not purchase MoneyPAKs’ for these purposes. If you have a warrant please respond to the courthouse to clear it up.
The FRPD phone number is 508-676-8511. The scammers will create their own number for you to contact them. The complainant who reported the current scam gave a number of 508-388-1104 run by a ‘Lieutenant Martin’. When I called he was deputy.