Connect with us


Driver cited in fatal motorcycle crash that killed Michael Welsh



A police report has been released concerning a fatal motorcycle crash that took place late last month in Massachusetts.

According to police, at just after 9:30 a.m. on July 25th, Holbrook Regional Dispatch received multiple 911 calls for a motor vehicle colliding with a motorcycle at 937 Bedford Street (Route 18) in Abington. Sergeant Brian Feely was first on the scene, with the Abington Fire Department. Officer Robert Gervasi, Officer Alyssa Sayers, and Officer Nick Sullivan also responded to the crash scene.

The operator of a Toyota from Abington exited the parking lot of 937 Bedford Street (Dunkin Donuts). Bedford Street at this location has five lanes of travel; two northbound lanes, two southbound lanes, and one southbound lane reserved for vehicles to turn left onto North Ave (Rt 139 east). The Toyota attempted to turn left to travel south on Bedford Street. The motorcycle operator, Michael Welsh, was traveling northbound on Bedford Street. The Toyota tried to cross over the northbound lanes and struck Welsh on his Harley Davidson. The crash ejected Welsh from the motorcycle and he landed in the southbound travel lane. A second car was traveling south on Bedford Street and struck Welsh. He then became trapped underneath the vehicle. Pedestrians on the scene were able to remove Welsh from underneath the vehicle.

After the initial collision, the Toyota traveled in reverse back into the parking lot and then struck the rear of a parked and unoccupied vehicle.

Welsh suffered severe injuries and was pronounced deceased at South Shore Hospital after being transported by the Abington Fire Department. There were no other reported injuries on the scene.

Both cars sustained moderate front-end damage. The Harley Davidson sustained significant damage to its right side.

A witness stated she was in the Dunkin’ parking lot parked close to the street near the drive-through and saw the Toyota pull onto Bedford Street slowly, trying to take a left turn. The witness stated she was unsure where the motorcycle was coming from but saw it swerve into the southbound traffic lane.

A second witness stated that another witness performed CPR on Welsh.

A third witness stated she was behind the second car, where Welsh became trapped. She stated that the car was not traveling at a high rate of speed, and she observed Welsh swerve into the southbound lane until trapped underneath the car.

The driver of the Toyota was issued a citation for Failure to yield. The Registry of Motor Vehicles was asked to have the driver of the Toyota’s license be suspended/revoked.

Combat Vets Motorcycle Association 2-2 has created a GoFundMe fundraiser to help Welsh’s family with expenses.

The Combat Vets Motorcycle Association stated that Welsh was a retired disabled veteran who served multiple combat tours in the United States Army. Not only did he serve his country honorably, domestically and overseas, but he was also a very active participant in all non-profit efforts of the Combat Vets Motorcycle Association

“He touched the lives of all those who met him.”

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Copyright © 2017 Fall River Reporter

Translate »