Connect with us


Arrest made in connection to investigation of double homicide in Fall River



An 18-year-old Fall River man was arrested this evening in connection to the ongoing investigation into Tuesday afternoon’s double-homicide in Fall River, Bristol County District Attorney Thomas M. Quinn III and Fall River Police Chief Jeffrey Cardoza announced.

Jeremy Holmes was taken into custody without incident tonight at approximately 8:15 p.m. at the Boston Marriott Hotel in Burlington. Holmes was arrested by members of District Attorney Quinn’s State Police Detective Unit, Fall River Police, the Massachusetts State Police Violent Fugitives Apprehension Section and Burlington Police.

According to the DA’s Office, Holmes is charged at this time with Carrying an Illegal Firearm, Carrying a Loaded Illegal Firearm and Unlawful Possession of a Large Capacity Firearm. He will be arraigned on the charges Monday morning in Fall River District Court, at which time prosecutors will request the defendant be held for a future Dangerousness Hearing.

“I want to thank all the investigators for their efforts in this case, which has led to the arrest of this defendant on firearm charges. Our investigation into the senseless death of the two victims is ongoing. Significant resources will continue to be expended as this investigation continues,” District Attorney Quinn said.

Massachusetts State Police detectives assigned to the district attorney’s office, Homicide Unit prosecutors and Fall River Police, continue to actively investigate the incident.

Fall River Police received 911 calls around 4:22 p.m. Tuesday to report shots fired in the vicinity of Griffin Park. When first responders arrived on scene, they located two victims suffering from apparent gunshot wounds. The two victims, Jovaughn Antonio Mills, 29, of Fall River and Miguel Sanjurjo, 14, of Fall River, were rushed to Saint Anne’s Hospital and Charlton Memorial Hospital where they were pronounced dead.

The third shooting victim, a 19-year-old man from Fall River, was transported to Saint Anne’s Hospital via a private vehicle. The victim was then transported to Rhode Island Hospital for further treatment and is expected to recover.

Chief Cardoza stated that the shooting occurred on the sidewalk near the black fencing of Griffin Park.

At least 10 casings could be seen on the ground.

“I want to recognize the diligence of every investigator involved in this case. Since the first 911 call, they have worked non-stop to make an arrest. I hope this brings some small measure of comfort to the victims’ families, and the Corky Row neighborhood,” said Fall River Police Chief Cardoza.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Copyright © 2017 Fall River Reporter