In coordination with the Massachusetts State Police, The Somerset Police Department, The Somerset Fire Department, The Swansea Fire Department, Massachusetts D.O.T, Northeast Traffic Control Services, Commercial Development Co., and Brayton Point LLC., The Swansea Police Department will be assisting with the traffic modification plan in the morning hours on April 27, 2019 during the implosion of the former Brayton Point Cooling Towers located at Brayton Point in Somerset, MA (approximately 8:00 a.m.). To ensure the safety of residents, several road closures and limits to “local residential traffic” will be enacted at a time to be determined. The Swansea roads affected are as follows:
1. Route 195 East on ramps will be closed.
2. Route 103 will be closed at Gardner’s Neck road to east bound traffic and all traffic diverted north to route 6.
3. New Gardner’s Neck road will be closed to all non residents.
4. Pinehurst Ave at Anthony Ave will be closed to all non-residents.
5. Gardner’s Neck road will be closed at Ocean Grove Ave and Sawyer Ave for all non-residents.
6. Gardner’s Neck Road at Church St will be closed and all residents must show identification to pass after the road closure is enacted.
In addition to the above road closures and diversions, Gardner’s Neck road (south of Church St), Randall Shea Dr, Lands End Way, Hetherington Dr, Wilder St, Sycamore St, Norwood St, Lawrence St, Bayside Ave, Shawmut Ave, Riverview Ave and Susan Dr, will all have ONE side of the street posted “NO PARKING.” On street parking in the posted area will not be permitted and any vehicles parked will be tagged and towed if necessary, this is to enable Fire Apparatus and EMS Vehicles that may have to respond to any emergencies in the neighborhoods.
The road closures are currently planned to take place approximately one and one half hours prior to the implosions. They will last only as long as it takes to restore the normal traffic patterns and ensure public safety after the implosions are complete.
UPDATE: More road closures have just been announced Cooling-Tower-Implosionbrayton_implosion_faqs_-_final