Connect with us


Plymouth man sentenced to prison after shooting at family members, police



PLYMOUTH – A Plymouth man who fired upon family members and Plymouth Police officers has been sentenced to state prison after pleading guilty, Plymouth County District Attorney Timothy J. Cruz has announced.

On April 26, 42-year-old Michael Walsh pleaded guilty to eighteen counts including Armed Assault to Murder and Assault with a Dangerous Weapon, two counts of Destruction of Property Over $250, and one count each of Possession of a Firearm without an FID Card and Discharging a Firearm within 500 feet of a Building.

Today, at sentencing, the Commonwealth requested that Walsh serve 19 1/2-20 years in state prison. The defense asked for probation. Judge Maynard Kirpalani sentenced Walsh to serve 5 to 7 years in state prison, to be followed by two years of probation from and after release. During probation, Walsh must adhere to the conditions that he undergo a mental health evaluation, comply with treatment, and stay away and have no contact with one of the victims in the case.

At 6:11 p.m. on April 26, 2018, Plymouth Police received a 911 report for a domestic dispute at 622 Federal Furnace Road. The female victim reported that Walsh had been abusive, and the victim had left the home with a minor family member. As they drove away from the home, the victim reported to police that Walsh fired several shots at the car, striking it twice. Once a safe distance away from home, the victim called 911.

When Plymouth Police responded and arrived on scene at the home, Walsh exited the front door and fired one shot at police before retreating back inside. Moments later, Walsh once again exited the front door and fired several rounds at five Plymouth Police officers who initially responded. Some of the gunfire struck police vehicles. In response, Plymouth Police discharged their weapons and struck Walsh as he ran through the front yard. Walsh fell to the ground and police administered first aid before he was transported by medflight to Massachusetts General Hospital for treatment of his injuries.

The case was prosecuted by Assistant District Attorneys Sharon Thibeault and Patricia Reilly and was investigated by Massachusetts State Police assigned to the Plymouth County District Attorney’s Office.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Copyright © 2017 Fall River Reporter

Translate »