Connect with us


Man dead from self-inflicted gunshot wound after standoff with police on Route 495



Photo courtesy of Massachusetts State Police

A man is dead after shooting himself during a standoff with police on a Massachusetts highway.

According to Dave Procopio of Massachusetts State Police, just before 7 p.m. yesterday, a Massachusetts State Police sergeant observed a 2018 BMW 430XI, occupied by 49-year-old Anthony Miele, of Quincy, parked outside the Digital Federal Credit Union on Broadway, Methuen. The MSP Sergeant recognized the car as the subject of a “Be On the Look Out” alert related to multiple bank robberies in southeastern Massachusetts. The suspect began to drive away and the Sergeant, who was in an unmarked cruiser, followed him. A short time later, the Sergeant and a second MSP Trooper who responded to assist, attempted to stop the BMW, but the suspect refused to stop and fled through several side streets and onto Route 28 (Broadway) south. MSP Troop A Headquarters authorized pursuit of the suspect vehicle and assumed command and control.

The suspect vehicle continued to flee south on Route 28 into Lawrence and then entered Route 495 southbound with the two MSP cruisers in pursuit. At approximately 7:10 p.m., shortly after crossing into Andover on Route 495, the suspect pulled into the grass median, reversed direction of his car, and stopped. Troopers pulled up to the vehicle and observed Miele holding a handgun to his head. Troopers established a perimeter and additional MSP assets responded to the scene, including the Department’s Special Tactical Operations Team, Crisis Negotiation Unit, Bomb Squad, Air Wing, and Troop A commanders.

MSP STOP operators established strategic positions and Department negotiators attempted to engage Miele in conversation for nearly two hours in order to persuade him to surrender peacefully. At one point, the suspect threw a ballistic vest and two firearm magazines out of the car but maintained possession of the handgun inside the vehicle. At approximately 9:10 p.m., Miele discharged a single round and inflicted massive injury to himself. STOP operators then immediately approached the BMW, determined that the suspect had indeed shot himself, and ensured it was safe for emergency medical responders to approach. Miele was transported to Lawrence General Hospital, where he was pronounced deceased at 11:28 p.m.

State Police detectives, Crime Scene Services personnel, and Ballistics Unit personnel responded to conduct the death investigation, which clearly establishes that the suspect committed suicide by gunshot. No police officers discharged their weapons.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Copyright © 2017 Fall River Reporter

Translate »