Connect with us


Soccer club owner, chairman, killed in crash on Cape Cod



Photo courtesy of Millwall FC

An owner and chairman of a well-known soccer club was killed Tuesday in a crash on Cape Cod.

According to Falmouth Police, at approximately 8:00 a.m., The Falmouth Police and Falmouth Fire Rescue Departments responded to the report of a motor vehicle crash in the area of 120 Sippewissett Road.

Upon arrival, responders located a single vehicle overturned resting against a tree. Seventy-year-old John Berylson of Wellesley Hills, the male operator and sole occupant, was trapped inside of the vehicle and was extricated by mechanical means.

The Berylson succumbed to injuries received in the crash and was pronounced dead at the scene.

The preliminary investigation revealed that the vehicle, a 2019 Ranger Rover was travelling south on Sippewissett Rd when it lost control on a curve and left the roadway. The vehicle rolled over into a ravine and came to rest against a tree.

Berylson, known as a businessman, owned Millwall FC, a team out of England competing in the EFL Championship, the second tier of English Soccer. He had been involved with the team since 2006.

Millwall issued the following statement.

“John was, without any doubt whatsoever, the best club owner I have ever worked with, and I would argue strongly that he was the best chairman of any club in this country.

“What he did for Millwall over so many years was both extraordinary and exemplary. He trusted his staff to get on with the task at hand but was always unwavering in his support in so many ways.

“John’s endless passion for Millwall was infectious. He was so incredibly dedicated to the club and year after year showed remarkable energy and drive to keep us progressing on and off the pitch.

“There have been ups and downs, sure, but in my view many more of the former, and as we know John enjoyed nothing more than to light up a big cigar in celebration of a famous win, promotion, or other deserving achievement.

“His regular visits to The Den became increasingly memorable as the support for him from the fan base grew further with every passing season. He loved the time he would spend walking the perimeter of the stadium to speak to supporters, and his lap of honour before the final game of the season in hindsight an even more profound moment now – was amazing to witness.

“I feel so desperately sad for John’s family and our thoughts and prayers are with them at what is just such a devastatingly cruel time.”

The crash is being investigated by the Falmouth Police Department and the Massachusetts State Police Collision Analysis and Reconstruction Section.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Copyright © 2017 Fall River Reporter

Translate »